Information from CTA website:
As part of the first phase of the Red and Purple Modernization (RPM) Program, CTA will construct a Red-Purple Bypass north of the Belmont Station to eliminate a bottleneck that prevents CTA from adding more trains.
Currently all northbound Brown Line trains cross over the four tracks used by northbound and southbound Red and Purple line trains. This outdated track configuration dates back to 1907 and results in inefficient train operations that constrain the CTA’s ability to add train service.
With the new bypass, northbound Brown Line trains will proceed along a dedicated rail line above the Red and Purple line tracks. This improvement will allow CTA to significantly increase the number of trains it runs along the Red Line to reduce overcrowding and meet growing demand for transit service. Benefits of building the Red-Purple Bypass alone include:
- The addition of up to eight more Red Line trains per hour during rush periods
- Accommodate up to 7,200 additional customers per hour during rush hour
- Increased Red and Purple line train speeds by 60 percent through this intersection
- Customers are saved a half-million travel hours each year
If ridership continues to grow as quickly as it has since 2008, CTA would need to double the number of trains it runs along these lines by 2030.
Check out the CTA project page for Information on Environmental Assessment, Alternatives Considered, Project Timeline Updates
Demolition & Construction Information
Site Preparation & Building Demolition
March 5- March 25, 208 | 8am to 8pm, daily
3240 N. Wilton Ave.
3242 N. Wilton Ave.
3244 N. Wilton Ave.
3246 N. Wilton Ave.
March 12 – April 2, 2018 | 8am to 8pm, daily
3366 N. Clark St.
3368 N. Clark St.
3374 N. Clark St.
3401 N. Clark St.
• Curb/parking restrictions while the work is being performed.
• Streets and sidewalks in the work zone may be closed while work is being performed.
• There will be noise while the work is being performed.
• Rodent abatement will be performed throughout the work activity period.
• Additional Construction Activity Notices will be provided as work progresses.